I must say that I don't mind unpacking that much. For me it is fun to figure out where stuff will go. Where will you put this frame in the house? Where will this bookshelf go? All those things are fun to me. We have been here since Saturday morning and seriously there are hardly any boxes left in this house. We don't play around with unpacking. We put in long hours and get it done! Life is better this way for us. One of our biggest pushes to getting it all done is that tomorrow our sweet boys return! My parents are also coming to stay the night and so we want it to be ready for when we have guests!
I haven't been blogging much for a few reasons …. #1 I have no internet in the house. Bush and Aaron can steal it from the hotel next door if you sit on that side of the house by the window, but my sucky computer doesn't pick it up. #2 I have no profound thoughts to write. #3 I want to put pictures up for you to see our new house, but i'm not sure if we've found Aaron's charger, and my camera never works. #4 again NO INTERNET in the house until Sunday.
So, while Aaron's off taking boxes to the dump I'm sitting down for just a minute on his computer to tell you a few things on my mind during this move …..
- It has been great with no kids here – we've gotten so much done
- I miss my kids greatly! I'm ready to see their faces tomorrow when they see their new room and new BUNK BEDS!
- making bunk beds is awful! any tips on how to get the top bed made without getting your fingers stuck and wearing out your back?
- moving into a bigger house means empty space – we don't have enough furniture to fill it up 🙂
- i am excited about finding the “perfect” missing piece of furniture for our living room on a clearance aisle somewhere!
- we've only eaten mexican once since we've been here
- i love having my own office space – i plan on setting up my sewing machine in there too – so i'll have to sew something!
- been to ikea twice – LOVE that place
- went to some friends house last night for dinner and met some great people – i can't wait to spend more time with them and get to know them
- we already have visitors coming over labor day – yippee!!! i love having a place for guests to come and stay and visit. LOVE it!
- we have a king bed now and aaron and i don't even touch each other in the night – very nice.
- this is the house that story and amos will come home to and you have no idea how much that excites me!
- i love being able to help bush & maris out
- i can't wait to find great patio furniture on clearance somewhere!
- there is so much dog poop in our backyard from the last dog that lived here – for the love – how do we get all that out?
- aaron has his own room too and that makes him so giddy and happy! he can play his piano now without having to be next to our bed in our bedroom!
- we bought a $70 trash can. what the heck? we've been putting that off since we moved here, but oh my gosh – there is no middle man. either $20 for cheap and plastic or $70 for nice enough to be where people can see it, and we bought the cheapest nice one we could find. we could hide our cheap white one in our other house – not here.
- I need to get another group down to Haiti. I need to get this going and plan something. I want to take people twice a year.
- 33 more days until I see my kids in Haiti – oh my heart is aching for them
- i don't like my pantry – it is weird and random – not my style
- my soul aches for rachel and her family – too much tragedy in one year
- we just realized that next year our oldest will start kindergarten. what the heck? i am way to young to have a child in school and he is not big enough to even think about school.
- my house has lots of flooring that is not carpet. i am not down with buying swiffers to clean this all the time – any ideas on alternatives. anyone have a floor cleaner like a vacuum? thoughts?
- aaron leads at the stone this week – i guess it's his first official sunday. i'm excited!
- aaron and bush just found the random missing kitchen box – yeah!
That's all the randomness i can come up with for right now. Now I'm back to a few boxes in our bedroom, some laundry and cleaning up. Rumor has it Aaron's taking me out on a date tonight. Oh my I'm excited!!! Our first date night in our new city – we love Austin!
wow sounds like you guys are getting so much done! We moved over 3 months ago and there are still a few boxes in the living room 🙁 lol. Congrats on a successful move! 🙂
Date nights in Austin…
I will put together a box for my boy…I am so glad that you are going and can take it for me.
for the bunk beds:
pier one kids used to make sheets that were sewn together on one of the long sides and at the bottom. that way, you only had to tuck in the side that is on the outside of the bunk. i saw them before my girls had bunk and now i wish i could find some. if you are crafty, you could always just sew the sides together yourself, i suppose!
they also made quilts/comforters that had elastic on the one side and along the bottom so that you only had to tuck the one side.
genius…i wish i could find that stuff now!!
i’m the exact opposite with packing/unpacking… i can pack up boxes in a heartbeat, but unpacking takes me FOREVER. i’m so indecisive about it all! i suppose that’s why i’ve been in my apartment for 6 months and i JUST got rid of my last box!
so glad you’re loving austin! 🙂
i just bought a shark steam mop from bed, bath, and beyond. i’ve used it once, and i don’t know how i feel about it yet. the nice thing about bed, bath and beyond is that you can return any of there stuff any time if you don’t like it. that may be a floor cleaning option. i’ll keep you posted on it. 🙂
We have wooden floors and tile in our whole downstairs. I was tired of using the swiffer thing too. I bought the small version of the Dirt Devil vacuum. It is like a sweeper. Very light weight and easy to store. It also doesn’t use bags. Just empty out the plastic container when it gets full. It also works well on carpet. I bought it at Target. Congrats on the new house!!! 🙂
Congratulations on your very well organized and productive move! My kids have bunk beds and one of them likes to wrap his comforter around his legs, his head, whatever, so his bed was always a disaster when he woke up. We decided to dispense with a top sheet for him and use only a comforter with a soft duvet cover as well as his fitted sheet on the mattress. When he wakes up I just smooth the fitted sheet, then fold the comforter in half, then in thirds and it fits perfectly at the foot of the bed – looks darn cute and has been the easiest solution for me!
We have wood floors everywhere in our house, except the bedrooms. I have a central vacuum system so I just use that to clean my floors (anything that has a rotating brush you can turn off would work – a rotating brush tends to scratch the wood). This does a good job of cleaning up dog hair and crumbs, then I use a microfiber mop with murphy’s oil soap to clean them. When I’m done with the mop pad, I just throw it in the wash – just like a swiffer, only reusable!
I do use a swiffer type mop thing, but use a rag instead of the disposable swiffer deals. You can clean the rag while mopping and throw it in the washer and reuse it after that. any type of dishcloth fits into the pinchers for the regular swiffer….just make sure it doesn’t have to have velcro. You can dry mop or wet mop with that.
Be okay with no top sheet!! Get a washable comforter or blanket and don’t use sheets! I wish someone would have told me it was okay, a long time ago. I try to force Jared to use a bottom sheet now and he won’t. I was reading something to make life easier and it said, “Not top sheets for boy rooms”. Especially college age. They won’t use them and they cost more money. Also, Ross is the cheapest place EVER to buy good sheets 🙂
As for the dog poop, us the lawn mower over them. It breaks them up and they go into the ground. Fertilizer?
What was the other one? Oh ya, hard floors. i just bougt a dust mop. It’s one of those furry oblong things. It’s made out of mop stuff, but not for getting wet. You can spray it with pledge or something if you want to. I don’t. Then you go outside and knock it off or put it in the wash every month or so. They have fun colors at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. They’re not as big as the ones you see in gyms or at schools of course.
So great to hear from you. You’ll have to let me know how the boys like their bunkbeds! Love you and miss you!
Oh, funny stuff. Ginger emailed about the Jonas Brothers buying house in Texas and sent me the address. Wade works at Trophey Club hospital which is like one mile from their house. Dad and Wade also own land that is like 4 miles from their house. The girls have decided that ya’ll moving, and now this, God must be calling us to Texas. I’m totally up for that!
Would you just go stand in IKEA for me?
I’m five hours from one.
Kids who have the top bunk do not have to make their bed. I think it’s the law.
We also have a $70 trash can. I agree, it’s all or nothing. If you want a pretty trash can you have to shell out the big bucks.
Oh, making bunk beds sucks! I worked at a design showroom once and that was always the dreaded task. Whoever had to remake the bunk beds would be sweating and breathing heavy by the end. WIth Jafta’s bed, I actually leave the bed made and he sleeps on top of the comforter with a little blanket over him. I am that lazy. I may just have to do a post about it! 😉