This might be the craziest weekend of my entire life. Every day since the earth quake hit have been hard on us. We have not slept much, we have neglected our kids, our friends, our house, and every other aspect of our lives. To say we have been consumed with worry about our child, our friends and how to help people there would be an understatement. I want to give you the low down of this weekend and how it all went down, but I know I'll leave stuff out and I only have limited time while ALL FOUR of my kids are resting and I have much more to do during this time, so bullet points it is!
- Friday morning we had been told that today would possibly be the day. I called SWA and put tickets on hold for a 2:30 flight out of Austin and straight to Orlando. We were waiting on word to go, b/c they were only 95% sure it would be Orlando and we weren't even sure what day it would be.
- Aaron had a show that night in Houston and we were waiting until the last minute to leave for that just in case we got the call.
- 1PM rolled around and we knew we weren't going to make the 2:30 flight and so we frantically packed everything in the car, including kids, and headed to Houston. That hour before we left would not have happened if it weren't for our friends that were here helping with everything. Gosh we have the best friends in the world!
- On the way to Houston I called and reserved tickets for 8PM at Houston Hobby to fly straight to Orlando.
- All the way to Houston we check our email every 5 minutes and sometimes every minute. Nothing. All we know is that they are STILL at the embassy.
- I drop the kids off at the Ivey's around 5:30 and get a text that it could still be today but not sure. Keep in mind we are in the Woodlands and our plane leaves out of Hobby. Those of you that live in Houston know how long this drive takes and what obstacles we could run into on a Friday evening trying to get there.
- I go back to the Woodlands and on the way there get THE CALL that they are leaving and it is Orlando. We sit outside Starbuck's for what seems like forever trying to find a flight leaving out of IAH or later out of Hobby and can't find anything until early in the morning and they are all about $250 MORE than the one I had reserved for 8pm
- We decide to stay and for Aaron to play and try to get out in the morning when Philip Drake comes to the rescue and says “let's go” and see if we can do it. We pulled out of the Woodlands Market STreet at 7:11 for an 8pm flight at hobby.
- Several times we said we should go back that we weren't going to make it, but for some reason Philip wouldn't stop. Aaron was calling everyone he knew to see if someone had a plane that could get us there. NOthing.
- We pulled up to Hobby and got out of our car at 7:55 and ran as fast as we could to the check in counter where there was no one in line, got our security stuff and ran to security where there were only 4 people in front of us, ran through security and ran like crazy people to our gate and nearly fell over crying when they said we knew you were coming and we were waiting. I cry now thinking about that night. We should not have made that flight and by the grace of God we did. We sat down and were shaking in awe that we were on our way to Orlando.
- we played through the last hour in our mind and couldn't help but thank God for the provision on the road (going 95 all the way down 45), for the emptiness of the airport, for the plane being held up a few minutes by connecting passengers, and for the knowledge that our son was waiting for us in Orlando
Jeremy Rodgers joined us on this trip to document it all and for that we are grateful. He was a great companion and we hope that we can spread the word about adoption through our lives.
Here's one of the news stations story about us coming home: My Fox Austin
We don’t know each other but I´ve been following your blog for 2 years and it has been amazing to see all your journey til this day.
I came back from church last night and as usual went to your blog to see if there were some news. ohh… so many tears of joy to know your little Amos is finally home!!! God’s timing is perfect, isn’t it?
God bless you and all your family so much! Keep shining for Jesus!
Love from Peru 🙂
So happy for you!
Also, I was wondering if the doll Story is holding in one of your pictures is the one I sent with Aaron? I’m not expecting a fast answer if any at all. I know that things are beyond crazy at your house.
Again, I’m thrilled about Amos.
I just left a comment on Aaron’s blog, but a double-dose still isn’t even sufficient for the joy my wife & I have for your family right now. God is so good & we are so grateful to have you all living the life you do … it has significantly impacted our lives & you don’t even know us (unless the whole tie-die t-shirt handoff yesterday counts as “meeting” :)). Welcome home Amos!
-Ronnie & Ashley
Praise God!!! I have followed your blog since the beginning of your journey and could not be more happy for your family! Tears of joy for Amos and all the kids that were able to be reunited with their familiy’s this past week. Praying many blessings over you all and that Amos will transition so well into his new home and family life.
balling :O) So glad for ALL of you.
You don’t know me, but your family’s story brings me to tears every time I think or read about it. God is so faithful. Welcome home, Amos! My husband and I have felt called to adopt since the summer of 2008. We are still waiting on His word for when to start the whole process. You guys are such an encouragement to us. Thank you.
Thrilled for all of you! That news peace nearly brought me to tears… what a blessing amidst all the sorrow! I’m so glad that Amos is finally home with his family and that he and Story have been reunited. I was surprised that the news made it sound like Amos was meeting Story for the first time and that they didn’t mention she was also from Haiti.
God bless your week, I pray for bonding and understanding.
To.say we are excited is the understatement of the year! Praying for all of you as you adjust to.four! You guys were made for this!
rejoicing for yall! so thankful God moved a mountain for Amos! praying for yall, enjoy every new moment together! 🙂
Thank you for letting us be a part of this miraculous event. We were waiting for your every tweet and prayed along with you. Couldn’t be happier for your family! God is so good!
how did you manage to get the video to “freeze” on that image of my lovely sister bawling her eyes out?! LOVED getting to watch it – made me feel like almost like i was there! so thrilled for you all!
When I saw you and your family on the news today a feeling that I can not explain came over me. I’m so happy to know someone that is making a difference in the World. God Bless (:
I am so happy for you all. Thank God!
Aaron and Jamie – we are friends of Ernest and Debra Parker, I have been following your journey along with Ronel’s. Praising God with you for this answered prayer, can’t wait to see the Parker’s family complete just as yours. Praise God from whom ALL blessings flow.
Oh the happy, happy tears! SO happy for your family.
And No More Paperwork!!!!!!!
YAY! I have been checking your blog all weekend, several times a day, hoping to hear that Amos was headed home! To my delight I see he is indeed HOME! I’ve never met you, we’ve never spoke, but I am overwhelmed with joy, tears streaming down my face for you and your beautiful family! Congratulations!
So happy for your sweet family! You don’t know me but I’ve been following your story and praying for your family since before you adopted Deacon!
I just wanted to let you know that my Bible study and I were praying for you and your family. I am so happy that Amos is home with you and Aaron and your other children!
Blessings upon blessings,
THANK you guys so much for that shirt! I was so blown away to receive a shirt from people that I didn’t even know. Although at the moment I was so overwhelmed and confused that I didn’t know if I knew you or not!!!! Thanks!
I knew that there would be a day I came here and would read that Amos was home!
🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂
SO VERY VERY HAPPY FOR YOUR FAMILY!!!
Can’t wait to see a picture of you all!!!!
Been reading your blog for a few years.
I AM THRILLED!!!!!!
Blessings to you and your family!
I can’t tell you how awesome it is to read that Amos is home. Thank You, Jesus! I loved getting to see the video and I cried when it showed y’all coming down the escalator with all your friends cheering. Thank you for sharing this journey. I have been challenged and blessed in so many ways. Congrats to your sweet family.
Jamie, I am SO HAPPY for you all! Shedding buckets of tears reading this. Praise God, He has been so faithful and so good.
What a whirlwind! That FOX coverage was so awesome!
Congratulations! Rejoicing at the fact that Amos is in a great home now, and safe. You are incredible people and parents. One complete and happy family!
So so happy for your family.